Sunday, April 29, 2012

Family Composition: How media says it should be

Topic:  Everyone has an idea of what they want their family to be like when they grow up and media is a major influence in this.

Source:  While watching television, I noticed that certain life decisions make for certain kinds of shows.  I have a friend who recently found out that she was pregnant and I saw a relation between her life and popular TV shows.

Relation:  I though of this topic when we watched "Modern Family" and compared it with the "American dream" type of family.

Description:   "Sweet Life of an American Teenager" came in to mind when I thought of my friend's pregnancy. It shows struggle and enough drama for a few families.  During some of the first episodes, the character was scared and life seemed to be this big struggle.  In other TV shows like "Grounded For Life," the parents seem super strict about sex and go to extreme measures in order to keep their kids close and make sex seem more dramatic than it really is.

Analysis:  My friend watches a lot of TV and she says that she wants a "classic" family.  She did not want to tell her family about her pregnancy because she feared that they would not understand and she fears being a teen mom.  I think it is safe to say that many people think this way, but I honestly believe that we CONTINUE to think this way because it is constantly portrayed in TV shows that marriage should come before the baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment